Home | Kontakt | Contact | Les Amis du Château de a.s.b.l. | devenir membre

Vianden Castle

Willkommen - Bienvenue - Welcome

6 The knight’s study

This hall features a fireplace and is covered with an almost entirely Romanesque vaulting.
Unfortunately the heavy arches of the Captain's Gallery, called Knights Study were built without proper structural support and they eventually dammed the walls which were further damaged by an earthquake in 1692. By the 19th century, the main arch had completely collapsed.
The Knights Study is decorated with a coat of mail from the beginning of the 14th century, acquired in a flea-market in Arezzo (Italy). The rings of this coat of mail were forged hot, a very ancient technique in the manufacture of coats of mail, the use of which goes back to the first millennium B. C.The rings of the other coat of mail are of a more regular pattern - otherwise the same manufacturing technique was applied.

Back